NGC is a 501(C)3 not-for-profit educational organization with its headquarters next to the Missouri Botanical Garden in St. Louis, MO. Originally chartered as The National Association of State Garden Clubs, our mission is to provide coordination and resources to 50 state garden clubs, about 5,600 local clubs, and nearly 180,000 individual members in the US and District of Columbia.
NGC is the largest volunteer gardening organization in the world with over 100 International Affiliates participating in the mission to provide meaningful service opportunities to local chapters, education and outreach to communities, and a love and respect for our natural resources.
Our Mission Statement
National Garden Clubs, Inc. provides education, resources and national networking opportunities for its members to promote the love of gardening, floral design, civic and environmental responsibility.
NGC aids in the protection and conservation of natural resources, promotes civic beautification and encourages the improvement of roadsides and parks.
Education and Scholarships
NGC awards annual college scholarships, sponsors courses in environmental education, flower arranging, gardening study and landscape design, and promotes good horticultural practices.
NGC supports community service projects, sponsors outreach programs for youth and international affiliates, encourages civic development and legislative advocacy.
Quick Facts About National Garden Clubs, Inc. (NGC)
- The first garden club in America was founded in January 1891 by The Ladies Garden Club of Athens (Ga.). On May 1, 1929, 13 federated states became charter members at an organizational meeting in Washington, D.C. In 1935, the National Garden Clubs established headquarters at Rockefeller Center in New York City. A permanent headquarters building was dedicated May 10, 1958.
- Our national headquarters are located adjacent to the Missouri Botanical Gardens in St. Louis, Missouri.
- We produce The National Gardener, the Vision of Beauty Calendar, and many publications and educational materials as a service to our members, guests and communities.
- We offer programs for Life Membership, National Affiliate and International Affiliate memberships
- We sponsor National Garden Week, a yearly program beginning the first Sunday in June
For information about holding a meeting or taking a tour at the NGC headquarters, please contact Katie Roth,
NGC Administrative assistant
Phone (314) 776-7574