Honoring Those Who have Served Our Country
The Blue Star Memorial Program honors service men and women. This program began with the planting of 8,000 Dogwood trees by the New Jersey Council of Garden Clubs in 1944 as a living memorial to veterans of World War II. In 1945, the National Council of State Garden Clubs adopted the program and began a Blue Star Highway system, which covers thousands of miles across the Continental United States, Alaska and Hawaii. A large metal Blue Star Memorial Highway Marker was placed at appropriate locations along the way.
The program was expanded to include all men and women who had served, were serving or would serve in the armed services of the United States. Memorial Markers and By-Way markers were added to the Highway Markers, to be used at locations such as National cemeteries, parks, veteran's facilities and gardens.
The Blue Star became an icon in World War II and was seen on flags and banners in homes for sons and daughters away at war, as well as in churches and businesses. This program has been active all through the years to the present, a fitting tribute always and especially now.
Ordering a New Blue Star Memorial
Blue Star Memorial Pricing: Effective May 1, 2014 through May 1, 2016
- Memorial / Highway Markers delivered with a 7' post, includes shipping $1,410 per plaque. Click here to download a Memorial / Highway Marker order form.
- Byway Markers, includes shipping $470 per plaque.
Click here to download a Byway Marker order form.
- Replacement posts, $325
- Refurbishment / restoration (no post), includes round-trip shipping, $800. To restore a large Blue Star Memorial or a Blue Star Highway Marker.
- Cap repair / refurbish (no post), includes round-trip shipping, $900. To restore a large Blue Star Memorial or a Blue Star Highway Marker.
- Additional West Coast shipping charge, $50 per Memorial or Highway Marker only. This applies for any shipping location west of the MN, IA, MO, AR, and LA western state lines.
- A "Guidelines for Blue Star Memorial Markers 2014" booklet how to get started.
- Blue Star Locations by State
Note: additional West Coast Shipping Fee $50.00 ONLY for LARGE Memorial and Highway Markers (Any location west of MN, IA, MO, AR, LA western state lines)
Allow eight weeks for delivery after the studio receives your order. If you have a specific dedication date set, be sure to allow plenty of time to be certain you will have the marker by that date.
Open and inspect the marker as soon as it is received. If you have it delivered to a business, impress on them that if it is stored unopened, then later found to be damaged, Sewah Studios will not accept responsibility for the damage. It must be reported to them immediately.
After your marker is installed, Sewah Studios suggests the bolts be filed down so they cannot be easily removed. (Sadly, two markers have been taken and sold for scrap.)
Memorial and Marker Restoration
Please check the condition of the older markers in your state and have them re-furbished if necessary. You may attempt this on your own, or have Sewah Studios do the work. If Sewah Studios does the refurbishment, when the marker is returned, you will think you have a brand new marker!
- Cost to RESTORE a LARGE Blue Star Memorial and Highway Marker - $800 (includes round-trip delivery) You must call Sewah Studios direct at (740) 373-2087 to arrange pick-up (there is no order form for restoration).
- By-Way Markers cannot be refurbished. If replacement is necessary, then a new marker must be ordered. Please Note: restoration is the ONLY time that clubs may call Sewah Studios... all other calls go through the NGC Chairman.
- Suggestions for small clubs that want to dedicate a marker or refurbish an existing one, but cannot afford the cost:
- Contact your local Veteran's organizations, i.e. American Legion, VFW, DAV, etc. They appreciate our markers and usually are glad to help. Be sure to invite them to take part in your dedication ceremony.
- Invite local high school students to help you with the project - they will never forget it.
- Repainting it yourself - Note: Sewah Studios no longer has paint information for NGC. They use a special blend, and it cannot be duplicated. Please do not call Sewah to request it. Many clubs indicate they go to an automotive repair shop to get the paint.
For more information, contact:
NGC Blue Star Memorial Chairman