Encourage creative writing
2014 Theme: Good Stewards of our Earth
Excite and encourage our Youth to express and explore their
creative thoughts through different types of poetry. NGC's Poetry
Contest enables our Youth to embrace their creativity through the
art of writing. Be imaginative and join the winners to see your
poetry in a printed booklet!
Special Education and English as a Second Language: Kindergarten
through Ninth Grade.
General Education: Kindergarten through Ninth Grade.
- All entries must be typed and titled
- Include name, address, age, grade, and school of participant on
the back of entry
- Sponsoring garden club and state garden club name must also be
- Sponsoring garden club may be that of a grandparent
- All entries become the property of National Garden Clubs,
- Poems do not have to rhyme
- Poems may be traditional verse, acrostics, blank verse,
cinquains, diamond poems, limerick or Haiku
Scale of Points
- Title: 10%
- Content: 40%
- Creativity: 30%
- Style: 20%
- Total: 100%
Note: Only regional winners are considered in the judging for
national winners. Contest winners will not be allowed to win two
consecutive years. All of the winning entries will be compiled into
a booklet, which will be made available to the winners.
Download Poetry Contest Rules
For more information, contact:
Poetry Contest Chairman